Grand Challenge Freshman Seminars engage first-year students in complex issues facing the world and introduce the importance of interdisciplinary approaches. These seminars create space for first-year students to dig into the complexity of grand challenges while connecting with a faculty member and a small group of students from different colleges and majors. GCC Freshman Seminars prepare students to enroll in Grand Challenge Curriculum courses, where many of the issues studied and strategies learned will be further developed.
Strong GCC Freshman Seminars:
- Provide students the unique opportunity to participate in conversations around the grand challenge that leverage the distinct disciplinary lenses and personal backgrounds brought by the instructor and fellow students.
- Challenge students to grapple with issues for which there are no “right” answers.
- Empower students to bring their perspectives and ideas in order to shape possible solutions or approaches to the grand challenges.
- Create space for students to build relationships with the instructor and fellow students.
GCC Freshman Seminar proposals are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Proposals for Fall 2020 GCC seminars will be accepted through December 1, 2019 with final decisions prior to February 1, 2020.
- Proposals for Spring 2021 GCC seminars will be accepted through February 1, 2020 with final decisions prior to April 1, 2020.